Results Prove Read Right from the Start Works
Early Evaluation Demonstrates the Effectiveness of Read Right from the Start Online Training
Classrooms across the state of Georgia have been effectively using Read Right from the Start strategies. A preliminary evaluation shows that teachers who participate in Read Right from the Start online training demonstrate improvements in instructional support and use of evidence-based literacy strategies.
Children Learn to Use Language and Vocabulary More Effectively
Read Right from the Start facilitators and coaches have worked with educators in preschool and pre-k classrooms across Georgia to implement, test and refine our strategies. Children in these classrooms thrive, expanding their vocabularies, improving communication and learning to express themselves to peers and others from an early age. This puts them on a path to grade level reading by 3rd grade and beyond.
Among our successes is Charles R. Drew Charter School. After applying Read Right from the Start strategies in their classrooms, 100% of children scored within or above expected developmental levels for language development, beginning sound awareness and vocabulary. This is a remarkable accomplishment, one that will benefit the children involved for the rest of their lives.
More Teachers, More Children, More Impact
Local children and teachers in Metro Atlanta receive positive impacts from the program. After one year of applying Read Right from the Start, we found notable gains in child outcomes. Independent evaluation by the Georgia State University Urban Child Study Center found:
- 78% performed at or above average in vocabulary
- 86% performed at or above average in print and alphabet knowledge
- Nearly 70% performed at or above average in oral language and reading readiness
Among Pre-K Children
- 82% performed at or above average in vocabulary
- 95% performed at or above average in print and alphabet knowledge
- More than 70% performed at or above average in oral language, phonological awareness and reading readiness