Studies on the Effectiveness of Read Right from the Start
Proven Results Makes this the Standard All Schools Should Adopt for Language Education
Independent evaluation by the Georgia State University Urban Child Study Center found these results after one year of implementing Read Right from the Start strategies:
- 72% performed at or above average on norm-referenced measures of oral receptive vocabulary (as compared to 62% at the beginning of the year)
- 78% performed at or above average on norm-referenced measures of oral expressive vocabulary (as compared to 74% at the beginning of the year)
- 88% performed at or above average on norm-referenced measures of print and alphabet knowledge (as compared to 77% at the beginning of the year)
- 60% performed at or above average on norm-referenced measures of phonological awareness (as compared to 56% at the beginning of the year)
- 83% were able to name at least 12 uppercase letters correctly (as compared to 66% at the beginning of the year)
- 76% were able to write their names with many correct letters (as compared to 57% at the beginning of the year)
*Dataset based on children whose primary language is English
Children who were English Language Learners (ELLs, also known as Dual Language Learners, DLLs) also exhibited growth through the school year, although their averages were lower. Since that time, we have continually enhanced our focus on DLLs and built in strategies specifically for this important group of children.
We also found that teachers showed substantial growth:
- significantly improved their oral language interactions with children and increased opportunities for emergent reading and writing activities
- significantly improved the quality of the instructional support they provided children
- significantly increased their intentional focus on literacy skills
- significantly improved their ability to implement interactive repeated story book reading activities during large group activities and strategies to “lift the language” during center time activities
- improved the frequency and quality of their interactions with children around letters, print knowledge, and phonological awareness
See more results from the independent studies conducted by Georgia State University.
And note this endorsement from the YMCA of Metro Atlanta…
Experience these kinds of results in your program by launching Read Right from the Start in your school.